Sunday, October 19, 2014

Essay #1

Being a team leader isn't just a title you carry into battle, but a badge you wear constantly. If you are not always performing at your absolute best, then what reason do you give others to follow you?” -- Professor Ozpin from the animated show, RWBY.


As a child, I was daunted by the fact of becoming a leader, whether it was maybe being a leader in a group project or something miniscule. It's daunting, the idea of having the weight of being the one to guide others, to be expected to be perfect and to always be thinking of what’s best for your followers. I always thought I could never be a leader, I mean, I didn’t even know what qualifies to be a leader. As I grew older, I had a better understanding of what qualities a leader must have.
But it wasn’t until I read Firestar’s quest by Erin Hunter, which is about a cat, named Firestar, who’s the leader of a clan of other cats, and who’s on a quest to rebuild a lost and broken unknown 5th clan out of the main 4 clans. The 5th clan is called ‘Skyclan.’ Throughout the entire story the author uses symbolism to describe the qualities of a leader such as a rock cave, a gorge, and another cat named Sandstorm. Throughout the entire story, Firestar grows and learns more on how to be a better leader and so do the readers at the same time.
  
Personally, I always wanted a leader who could listen to others. I always wanted my voice to be heard. I didn't want a leader to be a TV remote, who could mute me at any time.

 The rock cave that Firestar finds symbolizes the ability to listen to others. To elaborate, while rebuilding Skyclan, the broken clan, Firestar realizes that the new clan has no way of communicating with the spirits of Starclan or clan-cat heaven. Which is important because the spirits have to be able to send messages or omens about possible horrible storms or warnings to the clan. Later on, 3 kittens come to Firestar saying that they hear voices and sounds coming from a rock cave. While their mother ignores them and says that they’re just being kits, Firestar takes their problem into consideration. Once they find the rock cave, they find out that  the rock cave allows them to communicate with Starclan, thanks to the kittens. In other words, Firestar could’ve easily been like their mother and completely disregarded what they had to say, but instead, he looked past at the fact they’re young and still takes into consideration their problem. As a result, he was able to solve one of his problems, since he was considerate and hear what everyone had to say. At this point, the readers begin to understand that it's okay to listen to others and their input.

But then again, I don't want to be around a leader who can't make me feel comfortable around them. I need a leader who I know I can trust being in that status and to be in that power. 

The gorge that Firestar finds for the broken clan, ends up symbolizing comfort and protection.  For instance, when he was first rebuilding the clan, Firestar had to find a new home for the clan. He soon found the gorge, which had little caves on the inside that made for snug dens. The gorge later ended up symbolizing home, to feel like comfort and protection. For example, one cat named Clover who joins the clan, feels so protected that, “I even offered to collect the moss and bracken for her- but would she listen? She insists on sleeping in the warriors’ cave, in case the fox finds her.” (pg.283). That's what a leader should feel like. A leader must be able to be like home, feel a sense of comfort and protection or at least offer it. Firestar was able to find a home, delightful enough and well protected that many cats don’t want to leave that comfort. In addition, Clover felt so protected at the gorge, that she wanted to stay there, in case the fox would get her. The gorge felt like an indestructible bubble to all the cats. A bubble that no one can be harmed in. You know a leader can provide comfort, that no one will want to leave that only space of protection. This connects to everyone in the real world because in order to be a suitable leader, you have to make your followers trust you, so they know you'll be there to protect them when needed.


At the same time, past leader I've met, they seemed distant, like everything would function normally without them. They never took into consideration to their followers feelings. They were never there for guidance. 

Another cat named Sandstorm came along with Firestar for the journey. She symbolizes that person you can go to cry, ask for support or just simple comfort. In addition, throughout his quest, he wasn’t always optimistic or enthusiastic. In those moments where Firestar is at his low, Sandstorm often seen giving words of encouragement or advice to him. For instance, when Firestar was hungry but wouldn’t admit it, “I thought I’d hunt.” she mewed as she came up to him, an annoyed look in her eyes. “But I haven’t found any prey. There’s hardly anywhere up here for them to live.” Instead of being inconsiderate and not trying to find food for him, she tried to help him and give him comfort when he was stressed out about not being able to find the former residence of Skyclan. In addition, when Firestar was trying to help teach a stubborn cat learn how to fight, he kept getting frustrated, but Sandstorm gave him comfort by taking him out for a while to relax a bit. The greatest quality for a leader is to be able to give comfort to one of your followers and help them. If he/she can't give their followers comfort or guidance when need, what's the point of being a leader if he/she won't think about their feelings.

The symbolism in Firestar’s Quest really helped me realized what it’s like to be leader and what encompasses one. I'm pretty sure other readers of the same book would comprehend the same thing. The idea of knowing the qualities of being leader is that at some point, you're going to be a leader, whether it's in a group project or being a mentor. You have to know what qualifies for a respectable because if you're not performing your best around your followers, why should they bother listening to you? Do you think you qualify to be a leader?


No comments:

Post a Comment